Friday, January 21, 2011

The Art Show

There was only time for me to see the Oak Room Gallery with my ridiculous schedule. I'm even writing this in another class...don't tell anyone!

The images in the Oak Room Gallery were rich, beautiful, and emotional. The stench, and sweat, and overall rough nature of this existence soured out of the images and into my imagination. As I traveled counter-clockwise around the room I sank deeper and deeper into the heaps of trash. I was engrossed in the imagery, but couldn't wait to get out. I was drawn into the shots of children making their own rounds to sort the ever growing trash land. It was overwhelming and incredibly powerful. The one image that sticks out most in my mind, even now, is the small child in the distance who looked like he was almost dancing, while garbage and fire smoldered in the foreground.

It was incredible to see these people literally living in this dump, with cardboard houses and whatever else they could use to create some sort of shelter. It was deeply saddening, yet a sense of impeccable hope filled my heart knowing these people were actually able to survive under such circumstances. Wow.

I'm hoping to see the other gallery this weekend, especially considering my production is a big part of the "People at Work" theme the campus is putting on.

No comments:

Post a Comment