Wednesday, March 23, 2011

What to Listen For in the World

Music has always inspired me. As an artist, more specifically an actor, I have always been extremely emotionally attached to music and the story or feelings it can represent. Something magical happens when lyrics are belted with full intensity over a swelling of sound and tears are brought to your eyes for the understanding of what's happening in the story of the piece or because you're simply so moved by the beautiful intricacy of it.

I can fully relate to what Adolphe tells us in this article, about being inspired by the things around us without need of understanding it. Music is something that doesn't always need an explanation, and I think is too often prefaced with such. One such as myself, an actor, I must find every possible detail of the representation of what I am portraying or it is meaningless and thus doesn't work. Music does not need this detail, but can merely happen. Many composers have simply written whatever came to their mind as they let their emotions and feelings pour through them. At times they don't understand what they are getting out, and other times it's clear what burdens are on their mind as they construct their work.

Music is so much based on structure and technique and simply cannot work with it. Musicians are pretty incredible creatures for what they are capable of doing at one given time. Their mind and body must work seamlessly to create, and the training to it takes to reach such a place is magnificent.

I can only equate to the likes of playing Rock Band or Guitar Hero, video game versions of instrumental manipulation. Where a real guitar has chords, the game controller has several button aligned to be pressed and strummed in the likeness of a chord. Playing these games often I have had many instances where I have blanked out mentally and yet my fingers have made the impossible formations flashing by work. I am always surprised when this instance occurs and think myself a God for that moment.

What true God like abilities do real musicians possess.

No comments:

Post a Comment