Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Don Giovanni

This is the first opera I have ever experienced, and while I'm certainly not going to go out of my way to see another, I can't say I'm not necessarily going to mind. There's an incredible amount of appreciation to have for all aspects of an operatic production, as it truly is a combination of all theater arts on steroids. The scenic design and costumes are grand, the physical and vocal work is incredible, and it's simply a beautiful spectacle.

I enjoyed UNC's production of Don Giovanni for these many reasons. I wasn't engrossed with the story or baffled by the performances, but had high praise for the work that was being done. I was able to soak in the beauty of the arts, the delicious composition of the music, and so on. The show was impressive, and humorous, and well directed. I've been a part of some intricate productions before, and can only imagine the group effort to get something like this on its feet. It's not a surprise that the rehearsal process was held over a span of a few months. That's absolutely necessary not only to make sure that everything can be directed and choreographed, etc; but also to make sure that no details have been missed and that everything will indeed fit together.

Yikes! What a job to take on. But it was taken on and handled beautifully and the show was one to be proud of for all involved. The show was a wonderful introduction to the art of Opera and has helped open up my mind and appreciation for the many forms of art just a little bit more.

No comments:

Post a Comment