Friday, April 15, 2011

You Can't Take It With You

I don't know if I can describe how incredibly proud I am of UNC's final main stage production of the Spring 2011 semester. Everything was magnificent and beautiful in only the ways theater can present.

The set is probably the biggest and best of any production I've ever seen. I expected something in relation to the Denver Center's incredible 3 story house for August: Osage Country that took my breath away; however, TCTIWY seemed so much more full and alive. Nik-naks and paintings and books and animals and plants and the list goes on and on sprawled across the stage setting the busy home for an artistic family that is always working on something. Dad and his friend are in the basement making fireworks, mom's working on yet another one of her plays, her daughter's practicing dancing in between baking her candy, her husband is writing and practicing his new composition on the xylophone, and grandpa practices his darts. The best part - that doesn't cover half of it.

The production is littered with 13+ characters that are all interesting and not at all boring in their own ways. The pace is quick for the most part, with some slower sweeter moments, and a few very awkward moments that (thankfully) never linger too long. The timing was snap-snap throughout keeping the flow of characters in and out of the room extremely smooth, and only a few moments that the timing was off just enough for the joke to not quite hit - but still be gotten.

The direction of the show was tight from David Grapes, who luckily worked with an incredible ensemble of actors who know what they're doing and can do it right. Everyone found so many wonderful characteristics in their portrayals that made them stand out in their own right, and everyone had their moments in the show. In fact, the show felt most like a sitcom at times with the audience hooting and hollering with applause enough to stop the show. This is damn funny.

Personally knowing or working or having worked with almost the entirety of the cast filled a warm spot in my heart as I watched these brilliant performers at the beginning of their careers. Their performances, and the show in general, reignited any fleeting thoughts or feelings I may have experienced in the theater arts. It charged me and fueled me, giving me the boost I've needed in the overwhelming past weeks where my college career is coming to an end and my acting career is about to begin with the LA Showcase in May.

This production was magical. Not quite perfect, but as damn close as you can get with the few flaws that are just the nature of live theater. This show inspired me to never forget what really matters in life, and how doing what you love and having fun while doing it is the only way to live as fully as you can. That's something you can take with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment